Good afternoon! Pastor Alan continued his series on the Gospel of John this morning by taking us through the first part of John 4, where Jesus meets the Samaritan woman. To listen to this message, simply click play on the audio player below. I’ve also included his outline with links to the verses he references in his message and the quotes he shared with us. Enjoy!
Living Water & Worship
- Nicodemus: morally upright — came at night for fear of rejection
- Samaritan woman: not morally upright — came at noon because she was already rejected
- Jesus was available to both
- How open are we to everyone?
II. Everyone has a need to feel satisfied in life: John 4:9-18
- Ecclesiastes 2
- Everyone is thirsty and hungry for something that satisfies them.
- Jesus is more than temporary satisfaction.
- John 7:37-39
- “We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.” -C.S. Lewis, The Weight of Glory
III. Everyone has a need to worship: John 4:19-26
- It’s not important where, but to whom and how.
- In Spirit — emphasis on being born again
- In Truth — the object
- Examine your heart: why are you coming to church?
“God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him.” -John Piper
“Till sin be bitter, Christ will not be sweet.” -Thomas Watson
“My memory is nearly gone, but I remember two things: that I am a great sinner and Christ is a great Savior.” -John Newton
Praying you have a blessed Thanksgiving!