First, we’d like to ask for your prayers for those of our neighbors who are currently evacuated due to the Simms Mesa Fire and for those who are fighting to contain the fire. We praise God that the winds have decreased and that rain/snow is falling now. But we also pray that the fire would be put out quickly and without loss of life. Thank you for your prayers!
Last Sunday, Pastor Alan continued taking us through the Gospel of John, teaching from John 12 about “Three Marks of a Follower of Christ.” To listen to this message, simply click play on the audio player below. I’ve also included Pastor’s outline (Thank you Jen!), as well as links to the verses referenced.
Three Marks of a Follower of Christ
- We are to be a giving people (vs. 1-10)
- We give in light of the death of Jesus on the cross.
- We give in service with a heart of humility. Example of feet washing
- We give in love remembering how much we have been forgiven. (Luke 7:36-49)
- We give in faith based on grace. Not as a work based on a rule or formula. (2 Corinthians 8-9)
- We give with a proper perspective of what we possess. Do our possessions possess or do they bless?
- We are to be praising people. (vs. 12-19)
- We are to be a dying people (vs. 20-26) (Matthew 16:24-25, Galatians 2:20, Esther 4:15-16, Colossians 3:1-4)
The principle is this: The only measure to which Christ will be seen living in and through us is the measure to which we are willing to die to our self. Just as a seed is buried in the ground, and in a sense “dies” to produce, we have to die to our self-centered agendas to be productive. We must be like Esther in the Old Testament who said, “If I perish, I perish.” She was willing to die if it could save her people.
Conclusion: How are we doing at giving, praising, and dying?
NIV translation of the Bible,
The Bible Exposition Commentary: Warren Weirsbe
If I Perish, I Perish: A Study on Esther by Major Ian Thomas
Christ Centered Exposition of John by Matt Carter and Josh Werdberg
*Special Note: Pastor Alan taught at Calvary Community Church in Ouray last Sunday evening, and if you are interested in hearing his teaching on the afterlife from that service, check out our “Listen to a Message” page.