Good afternoon! A few Sundays ago, Pastor Alan continued his lessons in the Gospel of John by teaching from John 18. He took us through the first part of Jesus’ arrest and betrayal. To listen to this message, simply click play on the audio player below. I’ve included the outline, along with links to the verses referenced for you. Enjoy!
Jesus’ Arrest & Betrayal, pt. 1
- Jesus is in total control of the events that will unfold.
- John 18:1-11
- His control is evidenced by the power of His Name (v. 6).
- I am…
- His control is evidence by the soldiers’ response to His request (vs. 8-9).
- His control is evidenced by the completion of His purpose (vs. 10-11).
- The cup = the wrath of God
- “Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God” by Jonathan Edwards
- Jesus’ death would fulfill the prophetic words of Caiaphas.
- Peter’s Initial Denial
- John 18:15-18
- Just one more proof that Jesus knew how everything would unfold, down to the exact details.
- Jesus wasn’t secretly plotting the overthrow of Rome or destruction of the temple.
- John 18:19-24
- He taught openly and clearly.
- Peter’s 2nd & 3rd Denials
- Pilate first meets Jesus.
Conclusion: Jesus controlled every outcome of His situation. He knew every thought and intention of those involved in His arrest, bogus trial, and crucifixion. He was not a helpless victim or martyr. He orchestrated the plan of our salvation.
Application: Don’t be anxious and afraid of a threatening world. Trust in Christ.
5 Reasons Why (we shouldn’t be anxious): [from John Piper’s What Jesus Demands of the World]
- We belong to Christ.
- Truth will win out.
- The worst thing that can happen to us: physical death.
- He knows everything about us intimately.
- Our lives are valuable to God.