Hello! I’m trying to catch up, so I’ll be posting two messages today (from May 22nd and 29th). The message below is Pastor Alan teaching on John 12:27-50. To listen to this message, simply click play on the audio player below. I’ve also included Pastor’s outline with links to the verses he references. 🙂
Purposes of the Cross & the Problem of Unbelief
Purposes of the Cross (John 12:27-36)
- The cross is the place where Jesus took God’s wrath against unrepentant sin upon Himself. (v. 27)
- The cross would ultimately bring God glory as death is turned into victory. (v. 28-29)
- Jesus’ faithfulness is demonstrated in His total submission to the will of the Father.
- Our faithfulness is only made possible by Christ’s faithfulness (Galatians 2:20 & Romans 3:22 KJV)
- How do we glorify God? Live a life of faithfulness to God based on the faithfulness of God.
- The Father’s will for us is to unleash Christ to act through us.
- The cross is the initial judgment and starts things moving toward Judgment Day.
- Judgment on this world began at the cross and will end at His 2nd Coming.
- The cross brings life to those who believe, but judgment and death to those who don’t believe and to the “ruler of this world.”
- Prayer is entering into the conflict between God and the “ruler of this world” (Matthew 6:9-13)
- The cross is the point where all people are drawn. (v. 32-34)
- Not that all would believe, but all would be drawn.
- All = both Jews & Gentiles (all nations)
- Drawn = the cross cannot be ignored (except at one’s peril)
- The bronze serpent lifted up was a shadow of Christ (Numbers 21:4-8)
- The cross was, & still is, a call to walk in the light as things grow darker. (v. 35)
- The only way we can navigate this dark world is by the Light of Jesus & the Lamp of the Word
The Problem of Unbelief (John 12:37-50)
- Unbelief is not the same as indecision/misunderstanding/nonbelief (v. 38)
- It is not believing in the face of undeniable evidence.
- It is rejection, often in the form of hatred.
- Unbelief is being blinded and hardened of heart. (v. 39-41)
- Our natural state is a depravity of the heart; only God can renew it.
- “Faith is not born in the ordinary human faculties but is a unique and rare gift of God.” -John Calvin
- Half-hearted belief is the result of fear over what people might think or what they might do to us. (vs. 42-43)
- Belief is acting on the revelation of Christ. Unbelief is rejecting the revelation of Christ, choosing darkness, and falling under condemnation. (v. 44-49)
- It’s not a matter of if there will be a judgment, but where you end up after judgment.
- The words that the Father commanded Jesus to speak lead to eternal life. (v. 50)